2007/12/3, James Knott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> M Henri Day wrote:

> >> assuming
> >

> > <snip>

> far
> >> in
> >> Well, it's been available on Linux for about 12 years.  As usual,
> >> Microsoft is behind the times.  I started running 64 bit Linux, when I
> >> bought a new mom board in May 2006.  In fact, when the AMD64 and
> Itanium
> >> chips were first released, 64 bit Linux was already waiting for them..
> >

> > But the situation with respect to drivers, etc could be better....
> >
> > Henri
> >

> I haven't had any problems with drivers in OpenSUSE for any of the
> versions (currently 10.3) I've used.  The only thing that's a concern is
> browser plugins.  Most are 32 bit only, so I run 32 bit versions of
> Seamonkey and Firefox.  Also, as I understand it, Vista has a far
> greater driver problem than Linux.

I think you're right about the Vista driver problems, although it did take
Creative nearly a year after they had released a Vista driver to come up
with (a buggy) one for Linux - nota ben, 64-bit ! I'm running some 34 (I
think !) add-ons to Firefox/Swiftweasel on my 64-bit setup ; save for Google
toolbar, they all seem to be performing splendidly. But it's annoying to
have to download a 32-bit version of, say, Skype, simply because the present
leadership doesn't seem to understand that 64-bit users represent an
interesting consumer group....

Henri