Jerry Clancy, 2008/06/17 2:12 PM:
I, too, have no problem with occasional off-topic posting which can be helpful. I do have a problem, however, with OT stuff that goes on and on for more than a hundred posts, as at least one or two recent threads have, and I have no tolerance for rude, ignorant or insulting posts.

Much of this OT discussion, including the current one, should occur on a different list.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] / gmane.comp.openoffice.general
This list is intended for discussions on OpenOffice.org and Open Source.

This list users@openoffice.org / gmane.comp.openoffice.questions is for questions relating to the use of OpenOffice.org (the application).

There is also [EMAIL PROTECTED] a permanently off-topic list for those who love OpenOffice.org--and talking about everything else."

No biggie, but I also have noticed that most, but not all, posters tend to include all of the previous posts in the thread rather than editing the old ones out and then respond at the bottom. It is helpful if the response is done at the top with, generally, all but the previous response included (or a snippet about which you are responding).

Clipping and interspersing your response , not top posting, is the proper method on this list. See the guidelines <http://www.openoffice.org/ml_guidelines.html>. Excerpt is below

   When replying to other people it is customary to intersperse your
   response with their questions, both so you can answer the actual
   question that was asked, and so everyone else has some idea what you
   are talking about. It is also customary to limit your quoting to the
   minimum possible to get your point across. Take the time to be
   considerate, remember those subscribers who have slow, expensive
   connections.

--
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan