Hello Paul,

I run both windows server 2008r2/2012r2 in oVirt 3.4 (qemu/kvm for that
matter).

I can only recommend to try the following procedure in dealing with virtio-blk
and virtio-scsi:
Install Windows on a IDE drive; add a second image virtio-scsi.
After the installation finishes install the driver for the unknown controller
you find in device management with 'update driver'
Shutdown the vm, change the boot disk to virtio-scsi or virtio-blk respectively
and remove the second disk if you like.

Hope this helps,

--
Daniel Helgenberger