On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 5:56 PM, Adam Litke <ali...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Great feature!  I am glad to see you plan to use the existing imageio
> framework for transferring data.

Yep, and that's the part we need the feedback on the most.

> Will you allow export of VMs from a particular snapshot?  I guess that's
> how you'll have to do it if you want to support export of running VMs.

Exactly, that's how we intend to support exporting VMs with no downtime.

> I think you should definitely have a comment in the ovf to indicate that
> an OVA was generated by a oVirt.  People will try to use this new feature
> to import random OVAs from who knows where.  I'd also recommend adding a
> version to this comment: <!-- Generated by oVirt version 4.1.2 --> or
> perhaps even a schema version in case you need to deal with compatibility
> issues in the future.

So yeah, there will be some sort of marking - either by a field or a
comment. We'll see about that.
As for the schema version, it already exists in OVFs generated by oVirt
today exactly for that purpose.

> I agree with Yaniv Kaul that we should offer to sparsify the VM to
> optimize it for export.  We should also return compressed data.  When
> exporting, does it make sense to cache the stored OVA file in some sort of
> ephemeral storage (host local is fine, storage domain may be better) in
> order to allow the client to resume or restart an interrupted download
> without having to start from scratch?

Well, on the one hand it makes sense and I would expect such a mechanism to
be used for image-download as well. On the other hand, we don't support
this concept of pausing ongoing operations or resuming interrupted
opeations on the engine side, so in the context of ova-download (where the
streaming process is comprised of several steps orchestrated by the engine)
supporting this may require too much effort.