Thanks for your response Yaniv,

> Context: Investigating migration from XenServer to oVirt (4.2.0)
>
> A very interesting subject - would love to see the outcome!

I'll certainly be writing one of not many blog posts on the process and outcome
:)

We've been wanting to switch to something more 'modern' for a while, but
XenServer has had a very low TCO for us, sure it doesn't perform as well as
Xen/KVM setup on top of CentOS/RHEL with updated kernels, tuning etc... but it
just kept working, meanwhile we lost some people in my team so it hasn't been
the right time to look at moving... until now...

Citrix / XenServer recently screwed over the community (I don't use that term
lightly) by kneecapping the free / unlicensed version of XenServer:
https://xenserver.org/blog/entry/xenserver-7-3-changes-to-the-free-edition.html
<https://xenserver.org/blog/entry/xenserver-7-3-changes-to-the-free-edition.html>

There's a large number of people very unhappy about this, as many of the people
that contribute heavily to bug reporting, testing and rapid / modern deployment
lifecycles were / are using the unlicensed version (like us over @infoxchange),
so for us - this was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I've been looking into various options such as oVirt, Proxmox, OpenStack and a
roll-your-own libvirt style platform based on our CentOS (7 at present) SOE, so
far oVirt is looking promising.

> All our iSCSI storage is currently attached to XenServer hosts, XenServer
> formats those raw LUNs with LVM and VMs are stored within them.
>
> I suspect we need to copy the data. We might be able to do some tricks, but
> at the end of the day I think copying the data, LV to LV, makes the most
> sense.
> However, I wonder what else is needed - do we need a conversion of the
> drivers, different kernel, etc.?

All our Xen VMs are PVHVM, so there's no reason we could't export them as
files, then import them to oVirt of we do go down the oVirt path after the POC.
We run kernel-ml across our fleet (almost always running near-latest kernel
release) and automate all configuration with Puppet.

The issue I have with this is that it will be slow - XenServer's storage
performance is terrible and there'd be lots of manual work involved.

If this was to be the most simple option, I think we'd opt for rebuilding VMs
from scratch, letting Puppet setup their config etc... then restoring data from
backups / rsync etc... that way we'd still be performing the manual work - but
we'd end up with nice clean VMs.

The down side to that is juggling iSCSI LUNs, I'll have to migrate VMs on
XenServer off one LUN at a time, remove that LUN from XenServer and add it to
oVirt as new storage, and continue - but if it's what has to be done, we'll do
it.

> What are the export options Xen provides? Perhaps OVF?
> Is there an API to stream the disks from Xen?
> Y.

Yes, Xen does have an API, but TBH - it's pretty awful to work with, think XML
and lots of UUIDs...

--
Sam McLeod
https://smcleod.net