global maintence mode is already on.  hosted-engine --vm-start-paused
results in a non-paused VM being started.  Of course, this is executed
after hosted-engine --vm-poweroff and suitable time left to let things shut
down.

I just ran another test, and did in fact see the engine was briefly paused,
but then was quickly put in the running state.  I don't know by what,
though.  Global maintence mode is definitely enabled, every run of the
hosted-engine command reminds me!