On 3-6-2020 14:58, Joop wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Just had a rather new experience in that starting a VM worked but the
> kernel entered grub2 rescue console due to the fact that something was
> wrong with its virtio-scsi disk.
> The message is Booting from Hard Disk ....
> error: ../../grub-core/kern/dl.c:266:invalid arch-independent ELF maginc.
> entering rescue mode...
>
> Doing a CTRL-ALT-Del through the spice console let the VM boot
> correctly. Shutting it down and repeating the procedure I get a disk
> problem everytime. Weird thing is if I activate the BootMenu and then
> straight away start the VM all is OK.
> I don't see any ERROR messages in either vdsm.log, engine.log
>
> If I would have to guess it looks like the disk image isn't connected
> yet when the VM boots but thats weird isn't it?

As a follow up I tried a couple of other things:
- installed CentOS-7 and oVirt 4.3.10 using HCI and same problem
(the previous install of 4.3 was a upgraded version. Don't know the
start versie)
- did some testing with copying large files into the engine gluster
volume through /rhev/datacenter using 'cp' and no problems
- used qemu-img convert with the engine gluster volume as destination
--> problems
- had a good look through lots of logfiles and stumbled across an error
about missing shard which aligned with qemu-img errors
- turned features.shard off on the volume and restarted the volume
- reran the tests with qemu-img --> no problems any more.
- reinstalled Centos8.2 + oVirt-4.0, turned off sharding before starting
the engine install
--> no problems installing, no problems importing, no problems starting
vms, sofar

I need to install another server tomorrow, so I'll do that with sharding
enabled and see if it crashes too and then get the logs some place safe.

Regards,

Joop