On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 9:11 AM Jeremey Wise <jeremey.w...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I rebuilt my lab environment.   And their are four or five VMs that really
> would help if I did not have to rebuild.
>
> oVirt as I am now finding when it creates infrastructure, sets it out such
> that I cannot just use older  means of placing .qcow2 files in folders and
> .xml files in other folders.... and they show up on services restarting.
>
> How do I import VMs from files?

You did not share the oVirt version, so I'm assuming 4.4.

The simplest way is to upload the qcow2 images to oVirt, and create a new
VM with the new disk.

On the hypervisor where the files are located, install the required packages:

    dnf install ovirt-imageio-client python3-ovirt-engine-sdk4

And upload the image:

    python3 /usr/share/doc/python3-ovirt-engine-sdk4/examples/upload_disk.py \
        --engine-url https://my.engine/ \
        --username admin@internal \
        --password-file /path/to/password/file \
        --cafile /path/to/cafile \
        --sd-name my-storage-domain \
        --disk-sparse \
        /path/to/image.qcow2

This will upload the file in qcow2 format to whatever type of storage you
have. You can change the format if you like using --disk-format. See --help
for all the options.

We also support importing from libvirt, but for this you need to have the vm
defined in libvirt. If you don't have this, It will probably be easier to upload
the images and create a new vm in oVirt.

Nir