On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 5:45 PM Jason Keltz <j...@yorku.ca> wrote:

> Hi..
>
> I'm looking to migrate soon from CentOS 7.9 with oVirt 4.3.10 to Rocky
> Linux 8.4 with oVirt 4.4.6.  I'm working on my kickstart of my
> standalone engine in a VM at the moment.
>
> So far, with minimal experience with Rocky Linux, after my kickstart, I
> was able to run "engine-setup", follow all the defaults and then access
> my "new" engine via web.  I have to explore the actual procedure for
> installing on my current engine host, and restoring my data.
>
> When oVirt team releases new releases, I'm just wondering if you test
> going from the last previous release (4.3.10 in this case) to each
> latest release?

Migration flows are tested for RHV, so it should work for oVirt if you wait
until the RHV version was released, and you have same RHEL-like version
as was tested with RHV.

> I know that the documentation says we always need to
> make sure we update to each individaul major release, but I'm just
> wondering if this is something that oVirt team tests with each release?
> I'm very concerned for potential of failed upgrade, and the potential
> headaches that it could cause.
>
> I see the 4.4.6 was released in time with RHEL 8.3.  I'd like to use
> Rocky Linux 8.4 because I believe RHEL has re-enabled mptsas (though I
> know still unsupported) from 8.4+ which will make things easier.

RHV 4.4.6 was released with RHEL 8.4, and is oVit 4.4.6 compatible with
RHEL 8.4, so it should work with any REHEL 8.4-like distro.

But note that oVirt uses the advanced virtualization stream, providing
libvirt 7.0.0 and qemu-kvm 5.2.0:
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8/virt/x86_64/advanced-virtualization/Packages/q/

Looking in Rocky packages, this is not available yet:
https://download.rockylinux.org/pub/rocky/8/AppStream/x86_64/os/Packages/

To replace Centos as the production OS for oVirt, the community must also
rebuild advanced virtualization.

You can try to use Rocky and pull in the advanced-virtualization repo from
Centos as a temporary solution.

Nir