On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 2:57 PM Branimir Pejakovic <branim...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 1:50 AM Branimir Pejakovic
> > <branimirp(a)gmail.com&gt; wrote:
> >
> > Unfortunately vdsm (the core package for ovirt host) does not
> > have ovirt-prefix. Which version do you have?
>
> Just in case:
>
> # rpm -qa | grep vdsm
> vdsm-jsonrpc-4.40.60.7-1.el8.noarch
> vdsm-yajsonrpc-4.40.60.7-1.el8.noarch
> vdsm-common-4.40.60.7-1.el8.noarch
> vdsm-client-4.40.60.7-1.el8.noarch
> vdsm-hook-vmfex-dev-4.40.60.7-1.el8.noarch
> vdsm-api-4.40.60.7-1.el8.noarch
> vdsm-python-4.40.60.7-1.el8.noarch
> vdsm-network-4.40.60.7-1.el8.x86_64
> vdsm-http-4.40.60.7-1.el8.noarch
> vdsm-4.40.60.7-1.el8.x86_64
>
> > This package requires qemu-img >= 5.2.0
> > Maybe the requirement is broken (missing epoch).
> >
> > What does "qemu-img --version" tell?
>
> # qemu-img --version
> qemu-img version 4.2.0 (qemu-kvm-4.2.0-48.module+el8.4.0+534+4680a14e)
> Copyright (c) 2003-2019 Fabrice Bellard and the QEMU Project developers
>
> During the installation itself, there were no errors/surprises. Everything
> went smoothly.

So vdsm spec is broken on Rocky, letting you install vdsm when the required
qemu-kvm version is not available.

Can you file an ovirt/vdsm bug for this?
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi?product=vdsm

I tried to add a Rocky host to my setup and I can confirm that it works.

I create a new vm from:
https://download.rockylinux.org/pub/rocky/8/isos/x86_64/Rocky-8.4-x86_64-dvd1.iso

Install ovirt-release44.rpm from:
https://resources.ovirt.org/pub/yum-repo/ovirt-release44.rpm

And added the host to my engine (4.4.8 master). The host was installed
and activated, and can runs.

I found that migrating vms from other hosts (qemu-6.0, libvirt 7.4)
does not work. I think this issue was already reported here and fix is
expected from libvirt soon.

However I do get the the *right* version of qemu-kvm, provided by:

[root@rocky1 ~]# dnf info qemu-kvm
Last metadata expiration check: 18:02:00 ago on Tue 13 Jul 2021 02:37:31 AM IDT.
Installed Packages
Name         : qemu-kvm
Epoch        : 15
Version      : 5.2.0
Release      : 16.el8
Architecture : x86_64
Size         : 0.0
Source       : qemu-kvm-5.2.0-16.el8.src.rpm
Repository   : @System
From repo    : ovirt-4.4-advanced-virtualization

[root@rocky1 ~]# grep -A2 ovirt-4.4-advanced-virtualization
/etc/yum.repos.d/ovirt-4.4-dependencies.repo
[ovirt-4.4-advanced-virtualization]
name=Advanced Virtualization packages for $basearch
mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?arch=$basearch&release=8&repo=virt-advanced-virtualization

So oVirt is ready to rock on Rocky with little help from Centos :-)

I'm not sure about the future of the ovirt-4.4-advanced-virtualization
repository after Centos 8 will be discontinued, so this does not look
like production ready yet.

The advanced virtualization packages are likely needed by other virtualization
systems (openstack, proxmox, ...) or anyone that wants to consume the latest
features from libvirt and qemu, so packing it in oVirt is not the
right solution.

Nir