Hi Nir,

El 2022-03-27 10:23, Nir Soffer escribió:
On Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 3:09 PM <nico...@devels.es> wrote:
We're running oVirt 4.4.8.6. We have uploaded a qcow2 image (metasploit
v.3, FWIW)

Is it Metasploitable3-0.1.4.ova from the github releases page?
https://github.com/brimstone/metasploitable3/releases

Actually, the disk has been shared with us by one of our professors. It has been provided in qcow2, vmdk and raw formats, still the result was the same. I don't actually know which exact version is it, I just know the version is "3".

If not, can you share the image? It will help if we can reproduce this problem
locally with the same image you are using.

I will provide the link off-list because it belongs to the professor.

using the GUI (Storage -> Disks -> Upload -> Start). The
image is in qcow2 format.

Did you convert the vmdk file from the ova to qcow2?

Yes, I also tried these steps with the same result.

No options on the right side were checked. The
upload went smoothly, so we now tried to attach the disk to a VM.

To do that, we opened the VM -> Disks -> Attach and selected the disk.
As interface, VirtIO-iSCSI was chosen, and the disk was marked as OS, so
the "bootable" checkbox was selected.

The VM was later powered on, but when accessing the console the message
"No bootable device." appears. We're pretty sure this is a bootable
image, because it was tested on other virtualization infrastructure and
it boots well. We also tried to upload the image in RAW format but the
result is the same.

What are we missing here? Is anything else needed to do so the disk is
bootable?

It sounds like you converted an image from another virtualization
system (virtualbox)
to qcow2 format, which may not be good enough to use the virtual machine.

oVirt supports importing OVA, but based on the UI, it supports only OVA created
by oVirt.

You can try virt-v2v - this is an example command, you need
to fill in the {} parts:

virt-v2v \
    -i ova {path-to-ova-file} \
    -o rhv-upload \
    -oc https://{engine-address}/ovirt-engine/api \
    -op {engine-password-file} \
    -on {vm-name} \
    -os {storrage-domain-name} \
    -of qcow2 \
    -oo rhv-cafile={engine-ca-file} \
    -oo rhv-cluster={cluster-name}

I tried to import the Metasploitable3-0.1.4.ova, and virt-v2 fails
with this error:

    virt-v2v: error: inspection could not detect the source guest (or
physical machine).

attached virt-v2v log.

Actually, the professor also provided the OVA from which he extracted the disk files and the import process in oVirt worked with no issues. I can now boot the VM, not sure what difference made the OVA but now it works.

Thanks!

Nicolás

Nir