Please
- retry with the current version 2.0.9
- share your file for a profiler analysis
- as said by Itai (who implemented it) try enabling subsampling in PDFRenderer (read the javadoc first). Compare the results and decide whether the quality is OK for you. - set the energy settings of your computer to maximum or at least to "balanced", not to "energy save"
- don't know if adding GPU will help;
- try also the -Dorg.apache.pdfbox.rendering.UsePureJavaCMYKConversion=true option

The speed is not related to the size but to the complexity. 32 seconds may sound disappointing but it's not the worst I've ever seen. "Nice illustrations" with nested patterns or large shadings may be slow.

Tilman