Hello Ram,

may I refer you to the relevant section of the documentation [1].
As explained there in more detail, the broker keeps a representation of each message in heap even when flowing the message to disk. Therefore the amount of JVM heap memory puts a hard limit on the number of message the broker can hold.

Kind Regards,
Lorenz

[1] https://qpid.apache.org/releases/qpid-java-6.0.4/java-broker/book/Java-Broker-Runtime-Memory.html