On 25 November 2016 at 19:17, Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2016-11-23 at 12:40 +0000, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
>> I'd like to call this out more specifically following discussion in a
>> couple of recent threads, to ensure folks are clear on things before
>> they proceed. If not, shout.
>>
>> Following completion of the 0.16.0 release, I will look to proceed
>> with making proton-j and proton-c (+bindings) more independent to
>> allow them to each be released individually and more easily differ
>> where appropriate in order to best serve users needs. As part of this
>> I will look to:
>>
>> - Have infra create a separate repository for proton-j, likely "qpid-
>> proton-j".
> +1
>> - Remove Messenger from proton-j.
> +1
>
>> On the former, I think just cloning the existing repo and trimming
>> things to leave the bits of interest is probably the easiest way to
>> go, with a reverse trim happening for the existing repository. Any
>> other thoughts on that?
> +1
>> On the latter, I still need to look at the overall impact, since some
>> of the python tests do use Messenger and I believe not always to test
>> Messenger-specific things. If there are tests using messenger that
>> are
>> of obvious interest which can't quickly be replaced, then I would
>> move
>> the messenger impl to just being part of the tests to at the very
>> least remove it from the main component until they can be replaced.
>
> I'd be keen to ditch these tests ASAP, they are already causing trouble
> in other places and it's not worth the effort to fix them in Messenger
> form. If any of them are testing non-messenger features that aren't
> tested elsewhere we can port them to the python container API. I
> suspect (haven't checked) that the porting effort would be less than
> maintaining messenger for test-only purposes.

For proton-j I'd consider the aim to be migrate away from the affected
python tests rather than replacing some with some more. That API also
doesnt exist in proton-j (nor shims to make things work in jython).

I'd definitely prefer to outright remove it in one swoop, and will be
aiming to do just that. The very quick 'move it to tests' option would
be purely a short term workaround to make the initial switch happen,
if it really came to that. It would be removed as quickly as possible
after, noone will be maintaining it.

Robbie