Answers to your questions..

Could you please clarify whether you have seen "Gave up waiting"
warnings with synchronous or asynchronous recoverer?
- definitely when using synchronous but also pretty sure it was after I made
the context change to use asynchronous recovery also.  I've been making
several changes to get everything cleaned up so I can't remember about
asynchronous for sure.

Do you have full broker log with the warnings?  Can you share it?
qpid.log <http://qpid.2158936.n2.nabble.com/file/t396334/qpid.log>

Did you connect consumers to DLQs whilst the VH messages were
asynchronously recovered?
- I never had any consumers connected to any of the DLQs