As Gordon noted, the JMS client can't act as a server for incoming
connections. Its only a client and must connect out, but the other
side can be a broker/router/toaster/other.

The 'reactor' impl which proton-j includes can accept, and there is a
very basic/incomplete/naive 'recv' example which does show that,
however I wouldn't suggest you try it, and I'm not aware of anyone who
actually uses it that way. Proton was originally envisaged as purely a
protocol engine others would use in creating their own clients/servers
etc, and thats how proton-j continues to see most of its use.

One instance of that which you might want to look at would be over at
Vert.x,
https://github.com/vert-x3/vertx-proton/blob/master/src/main/java/io/vertx/proton/ProtonServer.java.
There isnt much in docs for sever side beyond the API javadoc, but
theres a very basic example at
https://github.com/vert-x3/vertx-proton/tree/master/src/test/java/io/vertx/proton/example,
and lots of use in the tests one dir up.

Robbie