If you are 'reloading' an InitialContext to add new JNDI config, then
depending on how you do that exactly I'd guess your application is
coupled to either the syntax of the properties it uses or maybe just
the implementation class. In either case, you could as well use
session.createQueue(<name>) etc to create the destination objects
instead, its no more provider-specific behaviour than the former.

The context can actually also create Queue/Topic objects without
predefined config using the prefixes "dynamicQueues/" or
"dynamicTopics/" on the lookup, e.g looking up "dynamicQueues/myQueue"
will give you a Queue destination object for "myQueue".

Robbie