Hi John,

Yes, the RTEMS kernel is in every binary.

> 2. Is it possible to just compile the kernel for its command line shell?
>
> My objective would be to add other CLI tools such as Gnu Smalltalk and RPM.

Maybe there is some confusion here. RTEMS is a single process multiple threads
system.
So, essentially you have one user application which is linked against the
kernel.
The application can start multiple threads to distribute its workload, but
cannot start other processes.
The CLI, i.e. rtemsShell, is in its core just a text parser which then calls
different C functions based on user input.
It does not start other processes like a Linux shell would.
I don't think adding tools like RPM is easily possible because many of the
standard Linux libraries are not available on RTEMS.

Cheers,

   Jan