On my side, this is mainly through an LDAP client.

1) SOGo is installed on behalf of DOVECOT/POSTFIX. They auth all on LDAP
database. SASL also rely on LDAP. Salt with Amavis, Postgrey & ClamAv,
and it's a classic mail server.

2) Basically i need a tool for managing LDAP. I use the one provided
with Webmin *OR* Jxplorer, a java tool able to do this.