A few months ago we began providing SOGo for our students.   It was summer and the number of students using the server was limited.   I found tuning was needed, especially the prefork value.   I was able to find good values for our installation within a day or two.

We started a new semester a few days ago and our full student body is using the product.   We've encountered performance problems several times a day.   I've handled these problems by making a tuning change and rebooting the server.   Within a few hours the problem returns.   I haven't been able to find appropriate configuration settings for our environment.

We have a little over 14,000 users.    I wrote some code which attempts to determine how many users are using ActiveSync.   Searching the nginx access logs I'm finding about 650 unique authenticated accounts posting to /Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync?User=.....   I'm only searching logs from the past seven days.    I've also attempted to get a rough estimate of current web users by using:
netstat | grep http | wc -l

I get about 700 returned.   I know this isn't completely accurate, but it gives me an estimate.

The server running SOGo is Centos 7.6.   It's virtualized with 8 CPU and 16 GB of ram.   We're a VMware environment.   Checking the server performance doesn't show anything significant.   CPU is usually around 10% with some spikes.   RAM usage is <10GB.

Currently my SOGO sysconfig file contains:
PREFORK = 400
SOGoMaximumPingInterval = 3540
SOGoMaximumSyncInterval = 3540
SOGoInternalSyncInterval = 30
WOWatchDogRequestTimeout = 5
WOListenQueueSize = 50

I've modified the OS kernel parameters as follows in the sysctl.conf file:
net.ipv4.tcp_max_syn_backlog=8192
net.ipv4.tcp_fin_timeout=25
net.core.somaxconn=1280

I run NetData on this server.  It was indicating problem with tcp accept queue overflows and drops.  This is why I made the changes to sysctl.conf.
It's now indicating tcp syn cookies queue is overflowing.   I'm going to do some research on this and will make appropriate changes.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I'm making changes, but the performance doesn't appear to be improving much.

Thanks,
Bob

Bob Dushok
Director of Enterprise Systems and Computer Labs
Luzerne County Community College

1-800-377-5222 ext 7327
bdus...@luzerne.edu