Hi,
I've had the same question/problem. But regarding the comment from Quentin I
set my MySQL collation systemwide to utf8mb4 and put the following limes into
/etc/sogo/sogo.conf:
> OCSAdminURL = "mysql://sogo:PASSWORD@127.0.0.1:3306/sogo/sogo_admin";
> MySQL4Encoding = "utf8mb4";

I also edited /etc/mysql/mysql.conf.d/mysql.cnf and .../mysql.cnf an put these
lines in:
> https://www.sogo.nu/files/docs/SOGoInstallationGuide.html#_database_configuration
> (last block before chapter 5.12).

Then I have restarted MySQL and afterwards SOGo and found sogo.sogo_admin in
the database!

 Best Regards

Max