On 2017-11-21 11:57, RW wrote:
On Tue, 21 Nov 2017 08:55:34 -0600
David Jones wrote:

You are correct.  I haven't dug into the code to verify but it
appears that 3.4.x sa-update does use the DNS TXT record to know when
to download so it doesn't hurt anything to run this version hourly.

By the sound of it this warning doesn't apply at all to anyone with a
normal up to date installation.

It mostly shouldn't, but when I was supporting a mail server that included a SpamAssassin integration, we ran into a non-zero number of installations where DNS checks failed and they fell back on direct connections.

The default update frequency was sane, but nothing stopped a user from implementing their own schedules.