Would you be so kind as to tell me how you hacked into my mail server to determine the basis for your statements?

On 12/13/2017 4:52 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

Am 13.12.2017 um 19:44 schrieb AJ Weber:
Is there an easy way to check if the Subject or From is UTF-8 -- or non-ASCII -- char set?

I see in some of my recent spam, either the Subject or the From (sometimes both) starts with "=?UTF-8?" (in these cases the rest is Base64 encoded, but I don't want to qualify on that).

If I check a header with a "header ... =~" regex rule, is it the raw text that I will check, or is it the decoded characters I will be checking against?

If it's the raw text, I can probably just look for that prefix to indicate the UTF-8 encoding.

I do get some legitimate emails with encoded chars and emojis, etc...but I think I'd like a rule to support it being SPAM in general

based on what?

this would be a rule with a majority of false positives
you really should also look at your HAM

cat *.eml | grep UTF-8 | grep -i subject | wc -l
2150

that tells me that rougly 10% of all ham mails would hit