On Wed, 13 Dec 2017, AJ Weber wrote:

Is there an easy way to check if the Subject or From is UTF-8 -- or non-ASCII -- char set?

I see in some of my recent spam, either the Subject or the From (sometimes both) starts with "=?UTF-8?" (in these cases the rest is Base64 encoded, but I don't want to qualify on that).

If I check a header with a "header ... =~" regex rule, is it the raw text that I will check, or is it the decoded characters I will be checking against?

If it's the raw text, I can probably just look for that prefix to indicate the UTF-8 encoding.

I do get some legitimate emails with encoded chars and emojis, etc...but I think I'd like a rule to support it being SPAM in general.

As other people have said, the header ":raw" rule form will let you match on
that.
There are two commonly used encoding methods for UTF-8:
 Base64 "=?utf-8?B?"
 Quoted-Printable "=?utf-8?Q?"

There's nothing that prevents a mailer from using either for purely 7-bit ASCII,
even though it isn't necessary. You are more likely to see that used by international clients. They may just utf-8 encode by default so not to have to do special processing for non 7-bit ASCII headers.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>