On 2/20/2018 6:05 PM, @lbutlr wrote:
On 2018-02-20 (08:30 MST), Rob McEwen <r...@invaluement.com> wrote:
Spammers are starting to use this to evade spam filters,
This is not news. Spammers have been using shortness since 3 seconds after
tinyurl.com launched.

My "this" was /*specifically*/ referring to Google's shortner, or at least the recent STRONG uptick in the abuse of that shortner. I was already well aware of other similar things from other shortners. But "this" wasn't referring to them. You infused thoughts/meaning into my writing that really wasn't there. (be careful about assuming...) Also, when you see my report further down, you'll understand why those others are not nearly as much of a concern to me at the moment.

Keep in mind that, if a marketer is doing things the right way, they should
have no need to obfuscate their own domain name. They should instead proudly
use it and not feel the need to hide behind Google's shortner.
No, that is not at all true. The primary use of a shorter is to shorten a long
URL to something that someone can type in.

I've acknowledged that there are some good reasons for a shortner - but the vast majority of the times I'm seeing them - in both ham and spam - that is NOT the case! The are shortening things like average-sized domains with either no directory, or with a short directory or page names after the domain. This is the VAST MAJORITY of the shortners I'm seeing in both hams and spams.

Clicking a URL in an email is the height of stupidity, so having a short URL
that someone can realistically type into a browser is much better.

If I spent just a little more time on this, I could collect a large number of Google shortner URLs that are malicious - where my malwarebytes is blocking access to the page to which it is trying to redirect. And these are still "live"! Do you really think that more than a tiny percent of those who saw those in their mailbox (both legit and spams) are manually typing in the URL and not just clicking on it? And in that exceedingly rare occasion where somebody types in the URL and it redirects to a malicious page that tries to install a virus, are they ANY better off than having just clicked on it? Even the best point I can think of that you might have had - that this might help them to better recognize a phishing URL for example - is lost since BOTH the phish and their bank's web site is going to be indistinguishable until AFTER they've launched the shortner (whether by clicking or typing). I think you just mistakenly bolstered my argument against this over-usage (and often inappropriate usage) of shortners!

THEREFORE: If you like having NOT-blacklisted IPs, be advised that the invaluement anti-spam DNSBL system is
now adding "bad" points to the scoring of all messages that use the "goo.gl" shortner,
and we're amplifying other "bad" points.
Well, at least you are warning people. However, what you are doing is, frankly, dumb; if you think there's a huge problem, you can simply check the target URLs.

That incurs a significant amount of extra resources for DNSBLs and spam filters - and such automated lookups could also put a huge extra burden on Google's servers - and who knows at this point if this is even reliable - Google might easily start putting captchas in the way or otherwise consider such lookups to be abusive and/or mistake them for malicious bots... I'm definitely going to pursue this further - but wow... that you would suggest this... I think spam puts ENOUGH burden on spam filters and mail system as it is!

Yes, there are many legitimate uses of Google's shortner, too. However, we are
now at a point where a VERY large % (a majority?) of uses of these headed to a
typical user's mailbox are egregious spams, and a significant additional
portion are likely-spams.
Any evidence of this?

EVIDENCE/STATS:

I ran stats on a sample set of a few thousand mailboxes, over a period of several hours today (mostly during business hours for these particular organizations who use these mailboxes) - and this produced a combined 24K legit messages, and 5K spams (I'm guessing that most systems have more spams per amount of hams? But those were the numbers for this server.)

-----------------------------------
NOTE: The sum of individual shortner-hits totals below can be LARGER than the total messages that had hits on ANY shortner - Why? - Because in a few cases, the same message can have hits on more than one of these shortners
-----------------------------------

I SEARCHED EACH HAM AND SPAM CORPUS FOR MANY OF HUNDREDS OF URL SHORTNERS

HERE ARE THE RESULTS:

-----------------------------------
STATS FROM SPAM:
286 total spams blocked that had a shortner, out of hundreds of URL shortners I had searched on (<10 that *MIGHT* be FPs - they were definitely questionable at best - btw, zero of those questionable ones led to ANY kind of invaluement blacklisting, even with the adjustments I described)

of that 286 SPAMS...
262 used goo.gl
24 used bit.ly
1 used eepurl.com
0 used tinyurl.com
0 used t.co
ONLY 17 used one of ALL of the others COMBINED

-----------------------------------
STATS FROM HAM:

187 total legit messages had a hit on at least one of hundreds of URL shortners I had searched on (a dozen or two of those were "false negatives", most of which used goo.gl - and that level of missed spams was much higher prior to the changes I had recently made regarding Google's shortner.)

of that 187
83 used goo.gl
59 used bit.ly
40 used eepurl.com
3 used tinyurl.com
53 used t.co
42 for ALL of the others COMBINED

-----------------------------------

NOTE: eepurl.com was under my radar - but since they predominantly hit in hams and had extreme few spam hits (just 1), this one is probably well run.

ALSO: I initially accidentally left out "t.co" in the overall stats, but they only had 53 ham hits, and zero spam hits - so it didn't seem worth going back and updating the overall totals to include those messages that weren't already in those totals.

Clearly, the results here show that, at the moment - Google's shortner is DOMINATING in its spam usage, where 92% (262 of 286) of ALL spam that contained shortners used Google. All the rest shared the remaining 8%, with bit.ly being in the distinct 2nd place.

I should note that I already had SIMILAR rules in place (for YEARS) that caused higher spam scoring for bit.ly (and a few others) - and I think that is *one* of the reasons why I'm not picking on them as much at the present time. (besides the fact that they are not used for spamming nearly as much at the moment as Google's shortner)

So why am I saying this about Google now - but didn't do a similar post about bit.ly or TinyURL or others way back when?

(1) the lines never seemed quite as blurred, or at least blurred so quickly, as they are now with Google. The bit.ly and tinyurl spam usage seemed more limited in scope, and rules that would hit on it them without hitting on legit mail usage of those shortners were easier to create. But part of the problem here is that the recent spam usage of goo.gl is getting a little bit more sophisticated in their usage of tactics to evade filters - making the writing of those rules a little harder. Having said that - this particular analysis has alerted me to the fact that I'm now overdue to tighten up on bit.ly, too - since some of these same things are happening more and more with bit.ly - I just didn't notice it as much since LARGER problems with goo.gl are hogging my attention.

HOWEVER...

(2) Even so - I'm seeing a distinct pattern whereby bit.ly is QUICK to dead-end shortners created by spammers... while Google is SLOW!!! And this is EXACTLY why spammers are currently MUST MORE OFTEN choosing to use Google's shortner right now. FOR EXAMPLE: For those stats above - I went back and checked on the 5 oldest spams in the corpus that used bit.ly shortners - and the 5 oldest spams in that corpus from today that used goo.gl shortners found in egregious spam. btw - *ALL* of those 5 goo.gl shortner examples were at least 2 hours OLDER than my oldest bit.ly samples - so Google had a two hour "head start". But all were about 7-9 hours old, fwiw, when I checked back on those links.

RESULTS:

All 5 of my oldest bit.ly shortners had been disabled :)

All 5 of my oldest goo.gl shortners were fully operational (even if the redirect was blocked by my malwarebytes... but Google was TRYING to deliver the spam payloads!) :(

And this is consistent with my recent experiences with these goo.gl shortners. I've reported several to the Google shortner page as spam over the past several weeks - and then I'd stop checking on them after a few days passed and they were STILL operational.

(3) And then another problem with goo.gl is that it seems to be getting more "institutionalized" with Google's software (etc?). Want a google map link? Or a link to Google Drive? I'm pretty sure their software will serve up a shortener version - and for good reason. Some of THOSE links can be complex and benefit greatly from being shortened. But this ends of being a "human shield" for spammers if they can't keep up with policing the abuse.

(4) And as I had mentioned, I'm seeing evidence that gray-hat spammers and ESPs are jumping on this bandwagon, even MORE so than they ever did with other shortners - and I have a HUGE HUGE HUGE PROBLEM WITH THAT. It is a loophole where spammer can evade a spam filter and DNSBL's ability to FULLY evaluate the *identity* and *reputation* of the sender and the sender's message - as such senders then hide behind the shortner. This is OK if this is an innocent and necessary link to Google maps, for example. This is NOT ok if an ESP says to its clients, "hey guys, we have this great new trick where you don't ever have to worry about your domain getting blacklisted and more of your messages will now get delivered" (more legit senders don't need that help!) And there are various shades of gray to work out in between. Also, when I was examining the more legit messages that had this shortner - while I did find a few example to things like Google maps - I ALSO saw a few examples where people were putting that as a link in their signature - for web site addresses which were NOT very long in the first place. That makes no sense - and makes me wonder, what software is stupidly auto-generating those links in the signature for them? (more awful human shields!)

(5) Finally - this is Google!!!! - they carry more *instant* legitimacy - making them more of a desirable target for spammer to exploit (that is - if/when the abuse isn't properly policed, as is happening now) - Google is much more desired than just using some other company that created a shortner.

I think that spammers and blackhat/grayhat ESPS... are ENJOYING my pain!  And I think they LOVE this loophole. Please don't "carry the water" for them.

--
Rob McEwen
https://www.invaluement.com