On 2/22/19 4:37 PM, David B Funk wrote:
> Is there a rule "score" syntax that allows you to use the score assigned
> to an existing rule to calculate the value assigned to another rule?
>
> Specifically what I'm trying to do is to negate the "damage" a
> particular rule does for messages that meet particular local criteria.
>
> For example: "HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_28" is a rule that will assign a modest
> number of points to a message that contains a small amount of HTML and
> an image.
>
> What I want to do is to create a local rule:
>
> meta L_HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_28_FIX  ( HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_28 && L_O365_USER )
> describe L_HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_28_FIX       Fix damage from
> HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_28 for local O-365 users
> score L_HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_28_FIX ( -1.0 * HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_28 )
>
> Where if HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_28 fires and another rule which detects that
> the message was generated by a local Office-365 user, negate the score
> from the HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_28 rule.
>
> My problem is that our campus has switched the bulk of our user
> population to Office-365 and many outlook users like to "decorate" their
> messages with images (wall-paper, deparmental logos, etc).
> When one of these people sends a short message (1~5 lines of text) in
> their outlook, it's not unusual for several of SA's rules to fire (EG
> DC_GIF_UNO_LARGO, HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_28, SARE_GIF_STOX, etc) which pushes
> the messages into spam score range.
>
> I'd like to automate the un-doing of this damage w/o having to
> continually chase after changes in the scoring.
> Thus the desire for syntax to calculate the score value. It doesn't have
> to be evaluated dynamically, just calculate the score at reload time.
>
> Thanks.

I use the X-OriginatorOrg header in a meta rule with other headers to
subtract a few points (trust) certain Office 365 senders.  Otherwise, I
treat Office 365 like other "FREEMAIL" sources that are mostly untrusted
(add a point or two).  You don't have to do the later but the former
might be helpful.

--
David Jones