On 14 Apr 2019, at 4:03, Jari Fredriksson wrote:

We have had some discussions of this in the past. But now I became worried that all SA users do not have access to their border smtp and are NOT configuring postfix with this: https://pastebin.com/LGkdi7NM <https://pastebin.com/LGkdi7NM>

That's far more specified than my own postscreen config, and I'm a verifiable anti-spam obsessive...

It's absolutely the case that MOST de facto SA users (many of whom have no idea that they ARE SA users) don't control their SMTP edge. Most of those who do have control will not replicate any particular Pre-SA configuration. As a result, what SA sees as as total mailstream is not just a function of the fact that every person receives their own unique collection of ham and is targeted by a unique collection of spam, but also by the fact that the pre-SA filtering is bespoke, at least for each server and sometimes for each user.

Now, I am part of RuleQA. Should I accept everything and pass it so SpamAssassin and to my corpus or not?

I don't know whether there is an official policy on this so, even though I am a committer and a PMC member, my opinions in this message are NOT official positions of the ASF SpamAssassin Project.

I believe that submissions to RuleQA should include all mail that is likely to be seen by SA anywhere. That does NOT include mail from systems that talk before greeting banners or pipeline improperly or use blatantly fraudulent HELO names but it would include mail which is easily rejected by sites using a mosaic of DNSBLs akin to those used in your postscreen config.

Reindl Harald may have his say as a corporate maintainer or something but the SpamAssassin user base is more.

To my knowledge, he has never made a positive contribution to SA as an ongoing open source project and user community, due largely to his choice of a confrontational and disrespectful communication style. Being frequently wrong in the context of mail systems and mailstreams unlike his own doesn't help.

ALL SA users share that problem of myopia. We can't know anything about the mailstreams of others or even about the mail aimed at us which we reasonably reject before seeing the actual data. Having mail that most sites could properly reject by using distributed reputation systems (i.e. DNSBLs) in the masscheck submissions makes the output of RuleQA more useful in identifying spam from sources that have not yet hit those distributed reputation systems.

How can I best support SpamAssassin besides having a mass check automation and mirrors for the sa-update?

Those are both large contributions. Thank you for that support.

The obvious repository of things we need fixed is the Bugzilla. There are a lot of open bugs, most of which require some Perl prowess and substantial time to fix, because we've done pretty well on attacking simple bugs as they are reported. There are gaps and flaws in the documentation, both on the Wiki and internal to the code, where many authors have used only standard commenting instead of POD, effectively hiding documentation. rule development is also potentially quite helpful, if you are good at it and have the patience to deal with the testing process (e.g. like John Hardin.)

--
Bill Cole