On 4 Jul 2019, at 16:59, David Jones wrote:

It seems like authenticated mail submission should only apply to
internal_networks and not extend out to the trusted_networks.

No. See https://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/DynablockIssues.

In short: if you don't trust the authentication of your trusted_networks, you will end up rejecting their legitimately authenticated users for being on PBL-like DNSBLs.

Arguably the trusted/internal/msa network model could use a rethink since today we see so many cracked accounts. If you have specific ideas other than redefining an existing client class back to a broken former handling, I'd be interested in that discussion.

I trust the 96.4.165.21 mail server to not forge the Received headers
but compromised accounts happen.

Is there another way to accomplish checking the that 88.233 IP as the
last-external without stripping off the "A" in ESMTPA at the MTA before
SA sees it?

Not without checking the IP of every authenticated client of trusted_networks. I think you can do it with the '-firsttrusted' suffix for DNSBL rules so that you could define a rule that looks for SBL & XBL hits but not PBL hits in Zen.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire