On Mon, 8 Jul 2019, Joseph Brennan wrote:

I am sorry to say that this spammer seems to have fixed the error. I have
seen none at all for a few weeks. What I *have* seen are heavy spam
barrages once a week that are from similar IP ranges that the spammer used
but without the error. 125,000 today.

Depending on the IP ranges, it sounds like tarpitting would be a useful response.