On 15 Aug 19, at 23:06 , Bill Cole <sausers-20150...@billmail.scconsult.com>
wrote:
> On 15 Aug 2019, at 18:41, @lbutlr wrote:
>
>> I am getting many many pop these errors:
>>
>> spamd: handled cleanup of child pid [89330] due to SIGCHLD: DIED, signal 11
>> (000b)
>
> How fun... A segfault: something in a worker spamd process ( a child of the
> master spamd process reporting the error) tried to access a completely bogus
> memory address.
>
> IMHO spamd shouldn't segfault in anything like normal circumstances. It's a
> Perl script, so most of the easy ways to segfault are blocked by how how Perl
> interprets and precompiles the script.
>
>> It doesn’t appear to be affecting mail delivery, but still, I’d like to
>> avoid them.
>
> Is any scoring being done?

Yes, Spamassassin-milter is checking incoming mail and some few messages are
getting encapsulated into safe-report mails (though I don’t have any of those
in the last 24 hours, I never have very many since I am aggressive about
deleting a lot of spam before it even gets o the Junk folder.

It is possible this is hitting on specific mails (ones too large, perhaps?) or
that it is a new problem since I updated some packages earlier this week.

>>  /usr/local/bin/perl -T -w /usr/local/bin/spamd -c -Q -u spamd -H
>> /var/spool/spamd -d -r /var/run/spamd/spamd.pid
>>
>> Though o don’t recall how those options are set (they are not in rc.conf
>> like spamass-milter)
>
> That's the normal place on FreeBSD, but you might have set options in
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/sa-spamd

Evidently these ar the default flags:

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/sa-spamd:
# Set defaults
: ${spamd_enable:="NO"}
: ${spamd_flags="-c -Q -u spamd -H /var/spool/spamd"}

Seems like a strange set of defaults to me.

(bayes files in /car/spool/spamd/s,pamassassion/ are getting at least touched)

--
One of the universal rules of happiness is: always be wary of any
helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual. —Jingo