On 16 Aug 2019, at 8:50, @lbutlr wrote:

On 15 Aug 19, at 23:06 , Bill Cole <sausers-20150...@billmail.scconsult.com> wrote:
On 15 Aug 2019, at 18:41, @lbutlr wrote:

I am getting many many pop these errors:

spamd: handled cleanup of child pid [89330] due to SIGCHLD: DIED, signal 11 (000b)

How fun... A segfault: something in a worker spamd process ( a child of the master spamd process reporting the error) tried to access a completely bogus memory address.

IMHO spamd shouldn't segfault in anything like normal circumstances. It's a Perl script, so most of the easy ways to segfault are blocked by how how Perl interprets and precompiles the script.

It doesn’t appear to be affecting mail delivery, but still, I’d like to avoid them.

Is any scoring being done?

Yes, Spamassassin-milter is checking incoming mail and some few messages are getting encapsulated into safe-report mails (though I don’t have any of those in the last 24 hours, I never have very many since I am aggressive about deleting a lot of spam before it even gets o the Junk folder.

It is possible this is hitting on specific mails (ones too large, perhaps?) or that it is a new problem since I updated some packages earlier this week.

/usr/local/bin/perl -T -w /usr/local/bin/spamd -c -Q -u spamd -H /var/spool/spamd -d -r /var/run/spamd/spamd.pid

Though o don’t recall how those options are set (they are not in rc.conf like spamass-milter)

That's the normal place on FreeBSD, but you might have set options in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/sa-spamd

Evidently these ar the default flags:

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/sa-spamd:
# Set defaults
: ${spamd_enable:="NO"}
: ${spamd_flags="-c -Q -u spamd -H /var/spool/spamd"}

Seems like a strange set of defaults to me.

Indeed: it looks like that is controlled by a non-default build-time option in the FreeBSD port. See /usr/ports/mail/spamassassin/files/sa-spamd.in and maybe report the issue to the port maintainer (or package builder, if you used the binary package.)

--
Bill Cole