what useful information would you be looking for from this kind of comparison?
All the time I receive mail from people with non-local domains and regularly receive e-mail from co-workers using the same domain as me.

The kind of things that might be useful are:
1) detecting local-domain forgeries (IE if you have DKIM/SPF, etc and the message appears to be from your domain but fails those checks) 2) examining the "comment" part of the From: address to see if it contains a misleading 'domain-like' text.
EG: From: "b...@my.domain.org" <bill-...@gmail.com>