On Fri, 12 May 2023, Matija Nalis wrote:

On Thu, May 11, 2023 at 09:41:34PM +0000, Marc wrote:
I was wondering if spamassassin is applying some sort of algorithm to
comparing sender domain against recipient domain to detect a phishing
attempt?

[snip..]
That is because those domains are not EQUAL? Od did you wanted a
rule that checks only on SIMILAR domain names (e.g. with lowercase
letter "L" replaced with number "1" as in your example)?

Now I get it, the OP is looking for some kind of comparison function that does an "apparent linguistic distance" evaluation of two strings and returns a score that indicates a "visual similarity" value.
(EG replacing 'l' with '1' or 'O' with '0', etc).

several years ago there were a flood of phish messages that had a 'From' address that used 'PayPaI' to try to fool people. I've also seen attempts using European character sets with letters that look like O or e to fake common domain names.

I've hand coded rules to check for this stuff when frequently abused but I don't know of a programmatic algorithm to do it automagically.

Dave

--
Dave Funk                               University of Iowa
<dbfunk (at) engineering.uiowa.edu>     College of Engineering