Ah, we are talking about two completely different things.  Reverse
Lookups via DNS to pull a PTR from a IP is one thing,  Reverse
Dotted-decimal notation to lookup a forward DNS lookup on a blacklist is
another thing.

> What I'm seeing, however, is that the zone files contain IPs
> in reverse notation.So SA does a forward lookup on a reversed IP.

'reversed dotted-decimal IP' would be more understandble.  It doesn't do
a forward lookup on a reversed IP in terms of DNS.

> I think that's about it. Wolfgang complained about not being
> able to resolve 219.144.194.158.multi.surbl.org, and that's true.
> The zone files contain an entry for
> 158.194.144.219.multi.surbl.org, which - to me at least - is
> wrong as SA is douing forward lookups on it.
>
> Dirk

Looks like we agree with surbl..

# host -tTXT 158.194.144.219.multi.uribl.com
158.194.144.219.multi.uribl.com descriptive text "Listed on [black] -
See http://lookup.uribl.com/?domain=158.194.144.219";