--On Wednesday, August 02, 2006 10:38 AM -0700 MennovB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Don't think that's needed, if ISP's only allow outgoing SMTP to the ISP's
SMTP servers and not directly then most (current) bots and most spam will
be dealt with. I wouldn't be surprised to see the amount of spam then
drop more than 80%. (I know, just repeating myself ;-))

Does it really have to be funneled through their SMTP servers? Would it not be sufficient simply to add a connection-level SYN throttle on that port at the routers? Perhaps someone here could propose a set of iptables rules that would implement this. Or the equivalent rule for a Cisco.