On Tue, 9 Oct 2007, Skip wrote:

| Unless I somehow had something configured improperly, the blacklists
| were rejecting connection to the MTA before SMTP auth.

Hi,

That's the problem - you don't want to do blacklist lookups for SMTP-AUTH
submissions.

FWIW we use Exim which has plenty flexibility to achieve this.  I don't
know the details for other MTAs.

Alternatively, an MTA-independent solution is to separate your MX boxes
from your submission boxes - the latter do no spam-filtering, but mandate
SMTP-AUTH (and/or user-on-local-network IP).

Ah - just seen Rob's said this better ;-)