On Oct 9, 2007, at 4:22 PM, Chris Edwards wrote:
Of course the best solution is for clients to always submit on port 465/587, and hope that's allowed out by the hotels / mobile connectivity providers.

Fairly often not. I've been lucky with T-Mobile, but Sprint and Verizon apparently block it randomly. East coast t-mobile users have had problems with blocking.

Your server then enforces encryption and SMTP-AUTH, and the SSL will
(hopefully) defeat any man-in-the-middle attacks by trans-proxies.

That's exactly the problem I am reporting. A lot of mail clients don't enforce SSL connections, so man in the middle is silently accepted. Only T-bird can be configured to not work any other way, TTBOMK.

And this is irrelevant for proprietary systems like Crackberry which use only their own servers, and Verizon which has modified software to use their own servers, etc etc.

As more and more people do more and more of their e-mail from hand- held devices, this problem only gets worse.

--
Jo Rhett