Matt Kettler writes:
> > I also use RulesDuJour daily to get updated cf files.
> >
> From your debug output:
>
> [18696] dbg: config: read file /etc/mail/spamassassin/blacklist-uri.cf
> [18696] dbg: config: read file /etc/mail/spamassassin/blacklist.cf
>
> Ditch blacklist and  blacklist-uri. These two are well known ways to
> kill spamassassin on all but the absolute most beastly machines money
> can buy. (i.e.: I wouldn't consider it in even a low volume environment
> with less than 8 gigs of ram and the fastest processors money can buy.
> Even then it might not run very well.)
>
> They really shouldn't be in RDJ anymore, as these are really only useful
> as a research tool now days. The blacklist-uri is also 100% replaced by
> the WS list in surbl.org. The plain blacklist file lists From:
> addresses, which is interesting, but not very useful in real spam
> fighting due to the high frequency of forgery (and certainly not worth
> the absurd hardware requirements needed to run it well).

OK, we really need to figure out some way to kill these FAQs off. Every
week, someone asks a question about why SpamAssassin is killing their
server, and most of the time the answer is "stop using blacklist.cf and
blacklist-uri.cf".  If 1 person is asking the question, chances are
there's another 10 people who aren't asking, and who are just ditching
SpamAssassin entirely. :(

RDJ folks -- can you zero out, or remove, those two files from the list
entirely?  It doesn't seem to matter if we say "don't use them" on
our websites, people will set up RDJ to download everything anyway
it seems.

I think I'll add a new question right on the top of the FAQ list
about this...

What else can we do?

--j.