Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:
> Justin Mason wrote:
>> OK, we really need to figure out some way to kill these FAQs off. Every
>> week, someone asks a question about why SpamAssassin is killing their
>> server, and most of the time the answer is "stop using blacklist.cf and
>> blacklist-uri.cf".  If 1 person is asking the question, chances are
>> there's another 10 people who aren't asking, and who are just ditching
>> SpamAssassin entirely. :(
>
>> I think I'll add a new question right on the top of the FAQ list
>> about this...
>>
>> What else can we do?
>
> Has anyone asked Bill to stop distributing the blacklist in a format
> suitable for direct use with SpamAssassin?  That, to me, seems to be
> the most effective and sensible way to deal with it.
I'd agree there.
>   Modifying the software, as has been discussed, seems a little
> extreme to me.
I dono, I think that having some --lint warnings generated when the
overall config is really absurdly large seems useful for this kind of
problem in general. A basic "um, dude, that's a lot of config, are you
sure your server can handle this" might be a good thing. You never know
when someone else might make a sa-blacklist, or some tool that
auto-generates rules might get popular and get out-of-control
sometimes.. etc..

However, the whole idea of having it kill SA is way out-of-bounds, IMHO.
SA won't even do that if you feed it a conf file full of output from
/dev/random...