On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 12:21:25PM +0200, Jan P. Kessler wrote:
> Jan P. Kessler schrieb:
> > Justin Mason schrieb:
> >
> >> For the upcoming release, we're considering dropping support for that
> >> interpreter version.  If you're still using 5.6.x, or know of a
> >> (relatively recent) distro that does, please reply to highlight
> >> this....
> >>
> >> --j.
> >>

> > Don't know if it's still relevant: Solaris 8
> >
> > # uname -a
> >  SunOS mailhub 5.8 Generic_108528-09 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-250
> >
> > # perl -v
> >  This is perl, version 5.005_03 built for sun4-solaris
> >

> sorry, just missed the "relatively recent" statement ;-)

When the system gets old enough that it's not supported officially and you
are forced to manually CPAN fresh modules (and possibly wreak havoc on the
OS), there is no reason not to compile your own perl (or upgrade system)
except lazyness.

SA is trying to be too supportive for the money it receives. ;-) If you ask
me, just ditch this and all other old baggage for 3.3. If you are not happy,
you are free to keep running 3.2. Some people are even still using 3.1.