Per Jessen wrote:
John Rudd wrote:

I've seen LOTS of so-focused-on-stability "if it ain't broke, don't
upgrade it" type shops in the Solaris arena ...

You'll likely find that in any production environment that is concerned
about uptime. The less change, the more uptime.

As far as Solaris goes, I typically update my core utilities like perl and put them in /usr/local. I also change the $PATH in /etc/profile so that /usr/local/bin comes first. That gives me control over what I and my users see.

I replaced Solaris 7 with 8 seems like 9 or 10 years ago. Solaris 7 was too hackable. Now, I haven't used Solaris 8 in about 4 years and am currently replacing my Solaris 9 boxes with Solaris 10 boxes. However, even in the newest, I still typically update my core utilities like perl. I simply need more control over them and need them to be more up-to-date, whether I compile them myself or get them from sunfreeware.

As far as down time ;) , earlier this week I updated a couple of my Solaris 10 boxes. I went from Solaris 10 5/08 U5 to Solaris 10 5/09 U7. I did the update during peak hours and also applied the latest recommended and security patches. Since I did it using Live Upgrade, users were totally unaware, and services continued as though nothing were going on. Then after the end of the work day, I issued an `init 6`. When the server came back up a minute or two later, I checked all the services, checked the update status, and then went home myself. If there had been a problem, I could have reverted and booted off the original image, leaving me right where I had started.

Gone are the days when you totally avoided upgrades because of the time, hassle and risk involved.

Note also that Solaris 9 is now entering EOL. In the second stage of EOL (where 8 is now, I believe), they no longer provide patches. This can be a serious problem. If, for example, a serious bug is found in ssh that allows a hack through ssh, then you are simply vulnerable unless you upgrade your system or build and replace ssh on your own. If you are on a private net behind a firewall, you may still be vulnerable, especially if there is a flotilla of windows machines sitting around waiting to get infected with whatever.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator