On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 11:15, Jan P. Kessler<sal...@jpkessler.info> wrote:
> Justin Mason schrieb:
>> For the upcoming release, we're considering dropping support for that
>> interpreter version.  If you're still using 5.6.x, or know of a
>> (relatively recent) distro that does, please reply to highlight
>> this....
>>
>> --j.
>>

> Don't know if it's still relevant: Solaris 8
>
> # uname -a
>  SunOS mailhub 5.8 Generic_108528-09 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-250
>
> # perl -v
>  This is perl, version 5.005_03 built for sun4-solaris

http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/support/sol8.xml :

'The Solaris 8 Operating System (OS) was originally released in
February 2000, and since then has been superseded by two later
releases: the Solaris 9 OS which was initially released in May 2002,
and the Solaris 10 OS which was initially released in January 2005.
The current update of this release is Solaris 10 5/09.

On August 16, 2006 Sun announced the transition of the Solaris 8 OS.
Per this transition:

    * November 16, 2006 was the last date Solaris 8 media kits could be ordered
    * Sun shipped Solaris 8 media up until February 16, 2007; Solaris
8 media kits are no longer available
    * Solaris 8 entered retirement support mode Phase I on March 31, 2007;
    * Solaris 8 will enter retirement support mode Phase II on March
31, 2009; and,
    * Solaris 8 will reach the end of its service life on March 31, 2012.

The total service life of Solaris 8 will thus be slightly more than 12 years.'

So the OS itself is still supported.  however, that perl version (in
my experience) is quite broken; whenever I've used Solaris recently
I've been sure to install third-party precompiled perls from
sunfreeware/blastwave, or built my own, and used those instead.  it's
a moot point anyway, as SA 3.1.x/3.2.x doesn't support 5.005.

--j.