Well, the point is that if it works, don't break it.
Yes, you can totally avoid upgrades, depending on your environment.
Sometimes you have no choice and continue to run old versions of
software or firmware or ...
Get over it. :)

If you want to continue debating system administration issues, there
are several lists to do so (go to sage or lopsa, for example).  The
goal for this thread is to get a sense of how many people are still
running SA on Perl 5.6 and therefore how disruptive would it be to the
user base to require a newer version of Perl for newer versions of SA.