>> Caveats such as week passwords, open ports and advertising insecure services
>> are the domain of poor administration and understanding - they are not
>> Operating
>> System dependent.
>>
>> Exempting organised spam gangs and their infrastructure, it's probably fair
>> to say that
>> most of the spam I see has come from a mule Windo$e box. I'll worry about
>> Linux Desktop Botnets
>> when I see it happening :-)

Hi,

myabe you should see it... :(

During the last month I recorded 1993 distinct IPs that were participating
in a distributed ssh attack - some of them changed, disappeared, and came back
after a while,
so they seem to be mostly static addresses.
Starting Nov 1st, I implemented p0f on the server.
Out of the login attempts coming from this fairly huge amount of bots, a total
of 4 events were attributed
to Windows XP an W98, abd a small percentage was classified as unknown by p0f
(these could be some special routers / gateways)
Where IPs looked like machines in a computer center, I occasionally had a
closer look and found
newly created sites, machines perhaps not intended to run a plain webserver at
all, and
sites inviting to log into plesk / confixx / whatever
One admin admitted that they were hacked through login guest / pass guest

Wolfgang