On 12/12/09 3:52 PM, "Bob O'Brien" <bobr...@barracuda.com> wrote:

> I am "the whitelist guy" at Barracuda, so I work with them.
> In my opinion, the $20 fee should be considered more like a CAPTCHA.
> It's not simple "pay to play" either.  Reports get investigated, and
> delistings can happen.  As I'm sure many of the volunteers here are
> all too well aware, $20 won't cover a lot of investigation, and some
> corporate sponsorship might be a great assist.

Personally, I would be much less suspicious of the concept if there were an
alternate way to get on the whitelist without paying. Something like "send
in a form with your D&B number, wait four weeks, and during that time we'll
be storing information about the relative spaminess/haminess of your
outbound mailstream-- and no outbound stream at all is going to be
considered suspicious. At the end of that time we'll send you an
accept/reject notification. Or, for expedited whitelisting, send $20 to...."

But the fact of the matter is, what we on the outside see:

1) Barracuda publishes a blocklist
2) Blocklist appears to be listing some arbitrary IP ranges
3) Solution to arbitrary listing is sending money to organization affiliated
with Barracuda in some not-particularly-transparent way.

Do you honestly not see why people might perceive that as questionable?

If there were a no-charge method of getting added to the whitelist, I'd have
done it at $DAYJOB. But as it is, it feels like paying the large Italian guy
who comes around and says "Nice mail server ya gots here-- be a shame if
something wuz to HAPPEN to it...."
--
Dave Pooser
Cat-Herder-in-Chief, Pooserville.com