On Friday 18 December 2009, jdow wrote:
> [...]

True, for one or two-offs maybe.  But it was short one very valuable
addressing mode, and needed about 2 more , maybe 3, more 16 bit wide pointer
registers before it could be said to compete with a 6809.  Then when the
Hitachi 6309's secrets were discovered, those of us with 6809 code in our
dreams were ecstatic.  Moto was too proud of the 6809, so it didn't get the
design wins it should have.

>You'll also find that the Z-80 design powers amazing amounts of gadgets
>in theaters and theme parks. (Several Z-80s were "on set" and in use for
>the animations in, for example, Team America, Harry Potter (I knew the
>Mandrake root's lines from LONG before it hit theaters. <sigh>), Total
>Recall, Chucky, and many others. (Gilderfluke makes some nice gadgets
>based on modern Z-80ish CPUs.)

I take that newer shrinks of the z-80 have fixed the "ignore the $EB command"
(switch foreground/background registers) the earlier ones ignored about 10 to
20% of the time?  Zilog told me to go pound sand when I called complaining
about that bug in both of the chips I had at the time, Early 1982 IIRC.  I
never touched the chip again, but the one in a timex 1000 I bought the kids
later either didn't suffer, or somehow managed to program around it.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Men take only their needs into consideration -- never their abilities.
                -- Napoleon Bonaparte