Well I have a bit more info on this now.

The problem goes away IF I put the aliases as usernames into
the password file

For example:

tedm - in password file
eatme - not in password file

/etc/mail/aliases

eatme: tedm

problem happens.

tedm - in password file
eatme - ALSO in password file

/etc/mail/aliases

eatme: tedm

problem DOES NOT happen.

I am suspecting something in how spamd is passing data to spamass-milter
though the socket.

spamd complains in the log when the userID doesen't exist:

spamd: handle_user unable to find user: eatme

even though the userID is in the alias file.  Whenever I see that
complaint then I see the following a bit later in the log:

ail sm-mta[88401]: o5GIG91G088401: Milter delete: header X-Spam-Status: No, score=0.7 required= ail sm-mta[88401]: o5GIG91G088401: Milter delete: header X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 3.3.1 (2

and while the message is delivered, it is lacking any evidence that it
has been checked with Spamassassin, (no headers) even though /var/log/maillog clearly showed that it was.

I have another mailserver configured with
the same version of spamassassin, AND spamass-milter that does NOT do
this.  However, the problem server is FreeBSD 6.2 and the other server
is FreeBSD 7.3 plus newer versions of all the perl modules that are used
by SA, as well as sendmail version 8.14.4 on the newer server, so the
milter libraries are newer.

Ted