On Wed, 2011-03-09 at 18:50 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> Open Office might be worth it for him.  It is what I use most of the
> time....

In that case one of you should suck a plain text newsletter body into
oowriter, make it look tidy, save it as HTML and then run it through a
validatoy, such as HTML-tidy, to make sure it isn't generating any
incorrect HTML that my small test missed.

Writing code that generates standards-compliant HTML needs a bit of care
and attention - I've been there, done that a few times. I also know that
looking at the output with a web browser or MUA, while necessary, isn't
enough. Once the program is generating well formatted pages its output
should be run through a validator and the cycle repeated until the HTML
is both well-formatted and passes validation without errors or warnings.
Judging by the results, most authors of HTML generating tools skip the
validation checks.

Martin