On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 19:14:11 -0400
Jeff Mincy wrote:

>    From: RW <rwmailli...@googlemail.com>
>    Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 23:43:57 +0100

>    If used sensibly USER_IN_WHITELIST is probably the most reliable
> rule we have, for the overwhelming majority of addresses it's far
> more accurate than spf based whitelisting. It's not always right to
> treat users as idiots.
>
> Huh?  What you mean by used sensibly?

I mean, don't use it on well-known addresses, or if you're a candidate
for  spear-phishing and can't be trusted not to fall for it. Don't
whitelist domains unless they are extremely obscure.

> whitelist_from_rcvd is very reliable.

Not if someone sends an email through a different mail system, which is
a scenario where Bayes is much more likely to miss-classify and an FP
is most likely. It's also broken by forwarding, like spf is.

> whitelist_from is trivial to spoof.

The overwhelming majority of email addresses are never spoofed.