Charmingly polite again, eh Ted? Surely you can do better, young man.

{+_+}

On 2014-12-05 01:46, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

The problem is Roundcube.  It does not insert soft line breaks
as per the MIME Quoted-Printable encoding.  There's a lot of
MIME stuff that Roundcube doesn't do very well, it's just not a very good web
mail interface.  I'm always surprised at how vehemently
people defend it.

Many email clients can be set to automatically wrap received text. Including the
one I'm using now.  But I don't turn that feature on because I want to give the
SENDER of the message control over text positioning.  I feel that if the sender
has laid out their email a particular way, they have a reason for it.

ASCII with a fixed font like Courier has always been the standard for email, and
you can do stuff like this with it:

------------------   -------   \
| Network router |---| NID |-------
------------------   -------   /

Which is far, far quicker and more efficient than attaching some visio drawing
that I probably don't have a viewer for loaded on whatever system I'm using.
And I won't even get into indentation of code in Email messages.

As such, senders who are clever and careful and make use of fixed width fonts
and ASCII text can do a heck of a lot quicker communicating and more
understandable than a bunch of HTMLized stuff using a proportional spaced font
that munges drawings, and destroys indentation, and such people have a damn good
reason at times to send out text that is soft broken at specific places.  So if
I turn on Word Wrap like Android does I have just succeeded in shooting myself
in the foot when I get an email from the smart people.  So I assume the sender
knows what they are doing and do I don't try to second guess them by wrapping
their stuff.

If you want to send out email that looks like it's been beaten by an ugly stick
with weird looking fonts and lines that run on forever and ever, with no thought
to positioning and making it look readable, as far as I'm concerned, that's not
a reflection on me, it's a reflection on you.  I'm not going to change my config
to clean up your email, particularly when your the only one doing it, no more
than I would waste time tucking in the shirt and straightening the tie and
shining the shoes of a salesguy who showed up to sell me something.

It's also not really my job to explain the concept of the blind leading the
blind and relate that to the fact that "nobody else has ever yadda yadda yadda"
but I'll do it anyway - it wasn't too long ago when the vast majority of people
thought the world was flat, but that merely meant that the vast majority of
people were ignorant - just like the vast majority of people who have never
brought it up to you before are just as ignorant of line wrapping.  After all,
it is an esoteric subject.

Ted